Saturday, February 26, 2011

Seeds


For about 3.5 seconds I thought about posting a deep and thoughtful post about seed and how they are like idea that get planted in your mind and then they grow...

And then I decided not to. Mostly because what I really want to talk about is the fact that I planted seeds!

I planted tomatoes...I know its a terrible idea to try and grow tomatoes from seed...apparently its quite difficult. But me being the gifted and incredibly knowledgeable vegetable grower that I am, I am sure I can handle it. Not. I can barely keep full grown tomato plants alive long enough to provide me with a tasty tomato. Last summer I barely managed! This summer I promise to be different. I will nurture my green thumb and water my plants faithfully and not over water them either! ( my sister, the horticultural expert in this house, says that more people kill plants from over water then under watering... now you know)

I also planted cucumbers, basil (picture below)  My  grandma says basil needs to be warm. Today I put the little mug on the heat register. I think it was happy.


This was a bit ago...now the little seeds have sprouted and are waving their tiny leaves in the air. Maybe I will take a new picture. 


This is the container with the tomatoes and cucumbers in it. T is for the first 4 egg cups. They have an orange heirloom tomato breed in them. I had to obviously pick the un-genetically altered brands because well...I like a challenge apparently. Now I am sure you can practically get drought resistant, blight resistant tomatoes...cheaters. 

C is obviously for the cucumber cups and the B is for beefsteak heirloom tomatoes. By the way...the cucumbers and one of the beefsteak tomato plants have sprouted. I replanted the rest of the seeds...they were MIA. 

Oh yeah and obviously the top picture is a yellow pepper.

Have I mentioned I have no idea what I am doing? 

Anyways, I hope they live. I want to grow veggies. 
I tried to grow pumpkins and zuchinni last year...the kid who mowed the lawn at Gary's cut off the flowers haphazardly and so no flowers = no pumpkins or zuchinni

It was sad. I wanted to fire him. But hes 10...and didn't know better. And then I would have to mow the lawn and we have a push mower. This year I will build a little fence. 





No comments:

Post a Comment