Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chocolate Mint Snow Top Cookies

So today, early early this morning, ( ok not that early...7am)
Gary and I packed a bag and headed off to Oregon. Since Gary buys and sells hay, sometimes he has to go actually looking for hay. He has gone sooo many times before when we were dating and now that we are married I get to come! yay :)
All day I was thinking about posting and wishing I could post and that I had internet in the car so I could post this recipe...but of course we don't and didn't have annnyyyy time to stop at a Starbucks so I could type this thing up. But now its 7:18pm and we are in....Sweet Home Oregon which is a very small town and has only two restaurants (that apparently they have the same food, but one is fancier and has table clothes...we didnt go to the fancy one) .
We were not going to stay in Sweet Home and instead continue driving to Madras Oregon which is about one or two hours away from here. It is also over a big mountain pass that is verrryy verrry snowy. So we decided not to drive through there tonight.



Anyways... here is the yummy recipe!
Ohh and I took alll these pictures at night time...so forgive the badness of them...


Chocolate Mint Snow Top Cookies.

This is what you need:
1 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (I like to use 1/2 dark chocolate chips and 1/2 semi sweet)
6 tablespoons Butter or Margarine softened
1 cup Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Flavoring
1/4 teaspoon Mint Flavoring (or if you like minty cookies add more till you are happy)
1/4-1/2 cup Icing Sugar





1. Combine flour, baking powder and 1/4tsp salt in a bowl. Set aside.


2. In a saucepan, melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat once melted. Set aside


3. Beat butter with a mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds (or a wooden spoon and get a great arm workout)
4. Beat in sugar until combined. Add in melted chocolate and mix together thoroughly.


5. Add Vanilla, Mint and eggs and stir until well combined.

** So when I made these...I doubled the recipe. Everything was going just great. Until this point. I accidentally added 3 teaspoons of mint flavoring....instead of 1/2 of a teaspoon of mint flavoring. Lucky for me I have the oldest bottle of mint flavoring you have ever seen. Not even kidding...it was covered in dust, and sticky and had a Liquidation World sticker on it. So I figure, my cookies are probably a touch more minty then they were designed to be...but just the perfect amount of minty if you like a nice mint chocolate combo. The last batch I made before this, I put in the right amount of mint...and they were good...but not nearly minty enough for me!**

6. Slowly add flour mixture and remaining chocolate chips and stir until it is all mixed in

And at this point... I stopped taking pictures. I always forget! It is not something I am used to...taking pictures while cooking is a tricky thing!

7. If you mixture is thick enough, you can dump it out onto wax paper, wrap and chill for 3 hours or until firm enough to shape. Mine is usually too sloppy so I just cover the bowl and throw it in the fridge. Both work equally fine.



This is my dough...it looks yellowy...but it was nice and brown and smelled minty 

8. When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Shape dough into 1inch balls and then roll in icing sugar. Place balls on parchment paper lined or greased cookie sheets and press down slightly ( I use my 1/4 cup measuring cup)



10. Bake until tops are crackled and almost set. About 10-12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.



Makes about 42 cookies... I ALWAYS double this recipe :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm about to make a double recipe right now! I'll let you know how it goes! I tasted these at my sis-in-laws... she was part of your Christmas cookie exchange- yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Sweet! I hope they turn out for you! I put lots of mint in those ones! :)

    ReplyDelete