Thursday, December 30, 2010

Brown Sugar Shortbread


Have you ever made Scottish Shortbread? It is basically the easiest thing in the whole world. You need 3 ingredients and you mix it all together and bake it. No decorating or icing or anything. And its soooo good. Probably because 1 batch has a whole pound of butter. yum.

This Christmas, my G-ma told me she did not want anything for christmas except Scottish Shortbread because her and G-pa love it. Seeming how I asked her for butter, I was sure I could whip her up a batch or two. So I did. And it was great! I put all shortbread in a basket and wrapped it all up nice. G-ma says she isn't going to share. haha :)

I had never actually made " Scottish" shortbread before and now I don't think I would ever go back. Its so rich, and smooth and easy! Try it!

On a side note, I have made a small promise to make only healthy recipes for the month of January. Expect things like granola bars, whole grain pancakes, carrot muffins, oatmeal cookies, rhubarb pie, raspberry scones. You know healthy fruit stuff. THEN when February hits...well I can't predict the future but a month of healthy recipes will leave me crying for chocolate. Hmm maybe February will be ALL chocolate. Hmmm....




Anyways, Brown Sugar Scottish Shortbread - ( G-mas recipe)

2 cups Butter - Softened
1 cup Brown Sugar ( packed)
4 cups Flour

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
2. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
3. Add 3 cups of flour and mix well, add 3/4 cup flour and mix again
4. Sprinkle counter with remaining 1/4 cup and dump dough out onto it.
5. Knead dough to make a soft dough.
6. Roll to about 1/2inch thick rectangle and cut into strips then rectangles about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide
OR divide dough into quarters and flatten into disks and slice into 8 triangles.
7. Place on ungreased, unlined cookie sheets and prick with a fork.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly firm and barely brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment