Saturday, January 8, 2011

Granola Bars....Health food....not chocolate


I made granola bars today and in the world of homemade granola bars, I would venture to say that they are quite good.
 They are flavorful and not too hard or too soft or too sticky. But...I still had to FORCE myself to eat them.

 Maybe because the container right beside them was full of Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies.

But I think it was because I can't eat healthy food. I mean I can eat fruit, I love fruit, and I can eat salad. I quite enjoy salad. But grains...I seriously struggle with grains. I like bread. White bread and "100% whole wheat" bread that can't actally by 100% whole wheat. I think my brain knows I can't eat healthy things.

 I think that is why these granola bars are the healthiest things I have ever baked in my entire life.

(PS. healthy food to me is defined as; contains less sugar then cookies or cake, contains oatmeal, seeds, fruit, whole grain flours or veggies, doesn't have very much butter/fat/lard, isn't store bought or pre-packaged excessively.)

I am currently resisting the urge to melt some chocolate to dip the granola bars in.

I ate my last piece with a big mug of hot chocolate. Perfect combination.

If anyone has any healthy recipes that taste and look like junk.... I will need them to get me through January.
Please.

By the way, this recipe is from my friend Taryn who just started her own blog a day or two ago! (Yay go Taryn!) She is a healthy conscious and eco-friendly mama with a super sweet baby girl. Check her out! (thanks for making me healthier Taryn!)

On another note, today was a terrible day to take pictures of food. So was yesterday. It was dark and gloomy all day. I feel like I live in the arctic where it stays mostly dark for months at a time. I need to go to a tanning place and get some vitamin D and maybe the gym for some exercise. The glommyness forced me to take a 3 hour nap this afternoon. I am so well rested now and feeling very lazy.


Anyways, for the Granola Bar recipe, please visit Taryns site! Click HERE
Eat healthy food. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. These look awesome! I'm going to have to bookmark the recipe!

    ReplyDelete