Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sunday Morning Baked Oatmeal

Happy Tuesday!

Weekend breakfast in my house is generally nothing special. Almost always Gary has to milk and I stay in bed too long and then we are running around like crazy people to get to church on time. Once in a while though, I pull myself together and make bacon and eggs or french toast. There was even a few fantastic mornings when I would wake up to the smell of bacon and pancakes! Gary was actually cooking breakfast! Whhhaaatttt???

Yeah, that happened 3 Sundays in a row. I was impressed.

In actual fact, Gary loves breakfast, specifically bacon and eggs "sunny and runny" with toast and on a good day a few slices of french toast.

Well, this weekend I made baked oatmeal instead



This is baked oatmeal. If you haven't tried it, you should! Its great to prepare the night before and then throwing in the oven before you get in the shower. This is just a basic recipe that can be made even better by adding fruit, spices, nuts, or peanut butter. Yum!




Baked Oatmeal
Recipe adapted from Mennonite Girls Can Cook

3 1/2 cups Oatmeal
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Coconut (optional)
1/4 cup Oil
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Apple Sauce
1 cup Milk

Mix together ingredients in order given. Pour into a greased 8x8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. This is also great reheated and eaten for many days! Top with milk and sugar.
To make this oatmeal even better try topping with fruit, nuts, coconut, peanut butter, and what ever else you can think of!
* You can also mix all the ingred togther and keep in the fridge then bake in the morning. I like to crumble up the cooked oatmeal in my bowl before warming up with milk and sugar.





No comments:

Post a Comment